48 spl water pump kit questions

Theeplaymaker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I have a good understanding of how this all goes back together but the kit I got has some parts in it that the previous owner did not have on and that are not on the diagram on the BRP site or in my factory manual, so I just wanted to make sure I am getting things back together correctly since this kit is a supersede to the original part number and I am guessing has some updates to it.

The kit I ordered is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201307029315?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Does the gasket that goes between the lower unit metal and the bottom plate need to have gasket sealant on it? I read that if it is shiny that it doesn't but only one side is shiny. This is a gasket that seems to be in the superseded parts kit but was not originally on this motor (at least in the diagrams in my factory manual and online. Also the bottom plate that was on this says 70 hp on it and the only difference is the water slit is wider.

I guess my only other question is where does the medium size o-ring go and are both of the smaller O-rings used? I need to look at the parts that came off it once more but I am pretty sure the medium one was not there and I only think there was 1 smaller one.

Whoever did the work on this motor in the past I believe cut a lot of corners because there was also no 5th bolt holding the lower unit on in the back, I got a 4" coarse thread I believe in 7/16th that screws in with a lock washer on it that I am hoping will do the job or at least be better than no bolt back there at all.

Thanks for any help, I have done lots of searching and couldn't find anything specific to my situation.

Cale

sutor623

Rear Admiral
You ought to post a model number on here first off.

That 3 fin impeller is correct, at least that is what I remember for the 48 horse. I always put E-rude gasket sealer on both sides of the waterpump gasket, or any mating surface on that area.

Typically there is a set of instructions on how to install the kit. Did you get them with this kit? Very often kits are used to service a multitude of engines, so you will not always use all of the provided parts.