33hp Evinrude 33952a, cooling system question.

Desjark

Recruit
Hi folks, I'm new to boating and have just purchased a 14' aluminum boat with an Evinrude 33hp outboard. The previous owner said it hadn't been used for several years. I set it up with a water barrel to try starting it. After correcting spark issues, it started up fine but noticed ants crawling out of the engine base. At the same time I didn't notice any water exiting the cooling hole in the midsection. Assuming I had an ant farm in the cooling ports I removed the foot to check it all over. Below the water pump, was plugged with dirt. I replaced the impeller and its base plate while I was at it. I hooked up a garden hose to the stand pipe the goes from the pump to the motor and flushed it out.
Well, now it's all together again and test run again, but I didn't see any water coming from the hole in the midsection for a few minutes, then it came for a while. It appears to be hit and miss, sometimes water comes out and then not. I removed the foot again and retested with the garden hose and noticed a small pin hole about halfway up the stand pipe. Could this be the reason for the lack of water or is there even an issue? I don't know how much water actually should come out? If this standpipe is the problem, how do I replace it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is a drilled hole from the factory.------Water should pour out with the exhaust.---Sounds like there is more blockage that you need to find.

Desjark

Recruit
Someone mentioned the thermostat. I didn't think this had one and I can't find it in parts catalog. ???

Desjark

Recruit
Yeah I kinda figured that. I couldn't see it on the engine nor the part catalog. I can't see it being more blockage since it flows water occasionally. Is it possible that the water is just going out the exhaust?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water will exit with exhaust halfway up the exhaust housing.----The rest goes out with exhaust just above the prop.----Working on a 1969 33 hp and folks have said " thank you very much for helping us , the big shop did not want to work on it "--

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I would suspect a barrel problem. How deep in the water is it? The water pump bulge needs to be well submerged.

Desjark

Recruit
The last test run I did, I put the water up over the large foot bolt on the back. I ran it in neutral and then tried both forward and reverse. I did notice exhaust leaking out the seam of the midsection and the foot. I disassembled it today and re-sealed it. I double checked the stand pipe, run water through it again. Everything looks good,...unless I'm missing

something.... I didn't run it again tho. Ran out of time.

I'd like to say thanks for the help....keep it coming please.

Last edited: