1968 Evinrude 3 hp Cooling Water Flow Question

JDusza

Ensign
Hello.
I am working on a little 3 hp Evinrude from 1968. The water flow tell tale on this engine is a series of holes drilled through the exhaust housing from which water spray should emit. On this engine, I am getting next to nothing from these holes. I changed the water pump impeller and grommet, but, no improvement. I split the engine from the exhaust tube, expecting to be looking for a blockage somewhere. I found no problem with the water pump and water tube when tested with a drill motor driving the drive shaft. I also blew compressed air entirely through the engine block with seemingly no resistance. I looked in the exhaust tube and I think found my answer. The exhaust tube is about 2 inches in diameter and about a foot long. There is no way water will be reliably spraying out these tell tale holes. I expect water to be discharged from the engine into the exhaust tube where is falls to the bottom to be vented below the water line behind the propeller. There is no way we'll see water spraying out of the tell tale holes such that we can judge the water pump.
Am I wrong?
The engine runs well, nice and strong.
Thanks for your input.
J