1985 Evinrude 70 no power under load

KSbowfisher

Recruit
Hey guys! First post on the forum. I have an issue with my outboard that has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

History is:

Boat had a misfire at cruising speeds. I replaced plugs, all 3 coils and all 3 plug wires. My buddy talked me into pulling the carbs to see if they needed cleaned up inside. I am an auto mechanic with 20 years experience but I have never worked on 2 stroke motors and have never liked working on carbs. I should have left them alone. They were spotless inside so I replaced the gaskets and floats and whatever else came in rebuild kit. Put the carbs back on and it was idling way too high. couldn't get it into gear without some serious grinding. I assumed I had a vacuum leak somewhere but couldn't find one. Had the carbs on and off several times looking for something I did wrong but never could come up with anything. I bought a factory evinrude service manual for the motor to figure out how to make adjustments. I was able to adjust the idle speed down, but now the motor has no power. It starts right up, idles great, but as soon as you get past half throttle it falls flat on its face. It will fast idle just fine in neutral, just won't rev under load. I replaced the fuel pump but no difference.

I took the boat to a local boat mechanic to see if he could figure it out. He pulled the top carb and said everything looked good inside. He found an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Replaced the gasket and said he made some adjustments. No change. I am convinced I did something wrong with the carbs, whether I got some hoses put back wrong or what I don't know. I need some suggestions on what to do. I wish I would have taken a bunch of pix of all the hoses at the carbs/intake but I didn't. Could there be something else unrelated going on?

Thanks for any help you can give me.