Carb on 35 HP 1980 Evinrude E35ECSM

FDenny

Seaman Apprentice
Replaced needle valve and float the other day on 1980 Evinrude E35ECSM and now motor will not open up. Idles fine and runs smoothly at trolling speed but as soon as you open up the throttle it dies. It gives a good attempt to accelerate but appears that it not getting the fuel. Float seems to be set level to the carb body.
Did nothing else to the carb except spray some carb cleaner and use air to blow out. No welsh plugs removed and replaced.
Any suggestions?

FDenny

Seaman Apprentice
It was originally set at 1 1/4 open so that's where I set it again. I will try adjusting as you said. I thought that needle setting was for slow speed only

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When that needle is set lean the motor will idle very nicely.--------But there will not be enuff fuel to go from the low speed circuit to high speed.---------Your reply about " for slow speed only " is very common.----------Many folks do not know how it all works !--------There could be other problems , but this is a " no $$$ spent " step to try.

FDenny

Seaman Apprentice
Going to the lake this weekend that will be my first try. Also when I took the carb apart the old needle valve was one without the small clip to attach the needle to the float. The new kit had the needle that attaches to the float with a VERY small clip. I lost the clip while assembling and did not use it. I was able to find it after. As the old setup did not use the clip I thought that maybe the clip was not required but maybe part of my problem also.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many folks are confused by that clip.---It attaches to the needle and slips over the float.----Purpose is to pull the needle off the seat when float drops.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
When you replaced the float did you set it to the right height?

FDenny

Seaman Apprentice
Is not the float to be set level with the carb body when needle is closed?

FDenny

Seaman Apprentice
Sometime I think I maybe a little brain dead. Took carb off today and saw my problem. I had installed the float upside down. Right way up motor runs like a charm.