89 60hp evinrude te60tlcea cuts out

jusmodirt

Cadet
Ok guys this has been an issue for me trying to figure out. I have this 89 evinrude 60hp te60tlcea. The motor runs great for about the first 1/2 miles on the water. Then it starts to cut out. I've changed plugs and fuel filter.
When it cuts out it looses power and won't plane out anymore. Let it sit awhile then it runs good for mayb 10 mins. Doesn't have any concerns in neutral.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
check its temp, shouldnt get above 70 celcius
do a spark test when it cuts out, might be a cylinder or two losing spark

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Agree-spark test it when it's fully warmed up. Heat is the enemy of any weak ignition system component. Works well when cold, but craps out when the engine warms to normal operating temps. That engine will seem to run just fine in neutral or when running on the trailer. You can't hear that it's not running on all 3 cyls. Bury the prop under 20" of water and shift it into forward and you need all 3 cyls firing.

jusmodirt

Cadet
Don't have a temp gauge. I'm a auto tech. What would b the easiest place to hook up a temp gauge on this motor. It has a water pressure Guage already

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Don't have a temp gauge. I'm a auto tech. What would b the easiest place to hook up a temp gauge on this motor. It has a water pressure Guage already

I put a auto one on a z bracket touching the head with heat transfer epoxy on mine. or you can just use an infra red gun or just check that you can put you hand on the head for at least ten seconds.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
It kind of sounds like it's flooding when it does it.
Check that with the engine off that you can prime the bulb hard and that it doesnt go soft (thats checking that the carb float/valves arent leaking under high fuel pumping pressure)

jusmodirt

Cadet
Come to find out the fuel lines going to each carb was cracked and I was loosing fuel pressure

jusmodirt

Cadet
Going to put new 1s on today and in the morning I will b hitting the lake to verify repairs

jusmodirt

Cadet
Ok so I fixed the fuel leaks and changed the main feed line from the tank. Runs alot better still cut out tho. I'm going to change water pump in these next couple weeks since water pressure is a lil low