I need help!!!!!!!! 1997 Johnson 225 venom won't idle

I've got a 1997 Johnson 225 venom on a Stratos 201 pro elite and it won't idle and the only way to get it to pop off is holding the throttle wide open. Somebody please please help

I just thought it was the carbs were clogged and rebuilt them but it didn't help it's still won't idle and won't crank in the water. But you can tilt it all the way up and it will crank but you have to keep your foot on the hot foot to make it stay running... It acts like it's loading up on oil bc it smoke way to much.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Pull your float bowl drain plugs, pump your primer bulb until fresh fuel comes out and see what happens.

I have tried that and I can drain them and not pump the bulb and it will crank on its own for about 2 seconds and die like it not getting enough fuel but if you try and crank it after it dies it will jus spin over and not do anything it gets really annoying if you know what I mean.....

The only thing I haven't checked is my kill switch bc the motor will run with the clip off and it won't die I noticed that today. Would that have something to do with what it's doing?

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dumb question, did you happen to see if the primer is in the right posision?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
1997 models with the tether on the ignition switch will do this as its actually turns key off mechanically vs the older that ground the ignition.

Yea the primer is in the open position and it is work correctly. I put the clip on around the and get the motor to run and then take the clip off the key and the motor still runs I figured it would jus kill the motor like its suppost too.

The thing I don't get is that you can open the throttle all the way open win the hot foot and it will crank but if you jus try to crank it without it open it won't it will jus spin over and won't even try to start.

Ok well here's a update I went a cranked the motor and it idled for about thirty seconds like nothing was wrong and then it died like it was out of fuel. I went and pumped the bulb three times like I have done for as long as I have owned the boat and a year before this started and tried to crank it again but nutting it jus turned over..... Man this is so aggrivating!!!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check your spark when this happens. It should jump a 7/16 " open air gap.

SparkieBoat

Captain
ok you have done the compression test, thats good, nw check your spark on all cylinders with a gap tester set at 7/16. check for spark when it will not crank. if it is bad just unplug the stupid thing. it is a little switch at your shifter linkage. if you are losing spark only on one side check your shift switch that kicks out one side briefly when you shift into gear. after that check power pack then stator and trigger, free test guide link in my sig below as well as a link to get a DVA adapter. I have seen plenty of stators that put out on minuet then nothing the next.

Last edited:
Thank yaw so much for the help I will do the apart test and see about getting that adapter to test the other and I will get back with yaw as soon as I can thank yaw so much again...!!!!

I need help will somebody please help me i have done all these test yaw have suggested and everything is good, power pack is good, spark test hitting on all six, checked carbs are cleanand checked the shift switch and it seems to be working......... I have did all of this and still nutting I can't figure it out I guess Ima jus have to take it somewhere to get it looked at.........

SparkieBoat

Captain
Just to be clear, you say that you have compression and you are getting a hot spark and it will not start? but it will start if you open your throttle up?
if you are getting sparks and you have compression, the only thing missing is fuel. you must have something wrong or clogged in the idle passages of your carbs.

I have took my carbs apart and they appear to be clean and clear every hole is clean of trash and everything but when I pump my bulb gas runs down behind my intake down the sync rod for the butterflies but I can't figure out why it's doing that or anything I'm run if out of options...... But the other day when I quit messing with it I jus went out to see if it would crank on the hose and it did and ran beautifully but I went the next day and nutting back to the same problem.......

Please if you can help me I would greatly appriciate it....... Bc I have ran out of options the only thing I have fuel running out of my intake when I pump my bulb and can't figure out why the is the only place I can see fuel anywhere