1996 25hp Johnson 3 cylinder

Nippy273

Cadet
My 1996 25hp 3 cylinder Johnson would not go much past idle speed. The engine sat for 4 years so I had the carbs rebuilt. I took it for a ride and the same thing was happening. It runs great starts right up and was acting like it was governed when I gave it the throttle. I decided to unplug the oil injection plug and mix the gas with oil. The engine runs beautiful now, pushes my 15.5 Esign skiff 25mph. My question is do I need to do anything else? I'm not sure if I should take the oil tank out and plug the line. I'm happy with it the way it is running right now. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the oil tank and join the fuel hoses.----Best thing you can do for that motor !

Nippy273

Cadet
With the plug from the oil tank disconnected it ran really well. Why should I take the tank out? Thanks

Nippy273

Cadet
Just took the boat for a ride. It started right up and I went about 100 yards and it quit. I had to hook up the plug to the oil tank for it to keep running. it ran great for an hour last week when I disconnected the oil injection wire to the tank. today it would not go more than 100yds. I guess I will pull the boat out of the water and remove the oil tank, oil pump and connect the gasoline to the fuel rail. Any tips?