1974 40hp evinrude troubleshooting my starting system

clzr1

Recruit
hi i have a 1974 40 hp evinrude. Just got the starter rebuilt and a new battery. however i get nothing when i turn swittch. neutral saftey is in correct position. any way to test solenoid or any suggestion?

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1974 40hp evinrude troubleshooting my starting system

You can test the solenoid by jumping the small positive terminal on the solenoid to the large terminal on the solenoid that is connected directly to battery +. This should cause the solenoid to activate and the starter/motor should crank over. Make sure you get the right small terminal on the solenoid. It will be the one NOT connected directly to ground. If you accidently jump to the grounded small terminal, you'll get one heck of a spark (not good). I hope this helps.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Rich.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Check out the starter circuit troubleshooting in the Engine FAQ section, "Outboard wont start".<br /><br />Good luck. :)

clzr1

Recruit

Thanks, is there any way to make sure the wires that are connected to small terminals are in correct place, im not sure if they got switched around, and do these wires have to be connected to jump test or can i disconnect and jump test.

stsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Howdy<br />Disconnect both small (maybe white) wires from the solenoid. With a test light to ground, have someone turn the key to the start position, check both wires the one that lights is the one from the control box. That wire should go on the terminal next to the large terminal that goes directly to the battery. The other to ground or safety switch. After connecting again put the key in start position see if the terminal on the starter has power. No power = bad solenoid <br /><br />Smitty

clzr1

Recruit

Thanks for all the help!

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can disconnect all of the small wires for the jump test. Then just simply jump one of the small terminals to ground and the other to positive and the motor should crank if the starter and solenoid are working. BTW the polarity of the small terminals doesn't matter, so it doesn't matter which one you choose to run to B+/B-.