95 Johnson 115 Fast Strike No Spark model J115GLEOC

jacks6514

Recruit
I have a 95 Johnson Fast Strike and was cruising the lake about 3500 rpm and engine just quit. No spark on any plug. Stator putting out 32 volts a/c. I have been reading and trying to find out as much info as possible to diagnose problem and have ordered service manual but haven't received it yet. I have a few questions maybe would help to get me started diag in right direction:
1. Should the two yellow wires from the stator ring together?
2. Where is the rectifier located on this engine? There is a rectangular piece with 4 bolts on top of engine and four wires is this it? 2yellow 1 gray 1 red
3. Ohms on brown to brown/white wire from stator measure 1080 ohms. Does this sound correct?
4. Should there be battery voltage to the power pack behind the coil packs?

Thanks for any and all help. Would really like to get this engine started and get back OTW.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard jack. Great having you join us here at iboats...

I researched you engine and it seem there is a rectifier assembly, but the break down doesn't show where it attaches too. Could be the box on top of your engine. .Obviously all six spark plug coils didn't go bad at the exact same time. So for now you can rule them out of the equation. And you can also rule out the stator coil and rectifier/regulator assembly as well. Those parts are there to charge the starting battery. So that leaves the power pack and the Timer Base and Sensor assembly as possible issues. However, both are pretty pricey and therefore you really need to determine which one is bad before buying any replacement parts. You only want to buy the correct part. Not having the actual schematic diagram to your ignition assembly, I can't help with specifics as to what things should read in volts or resistance. I would wait until you have the shop manual in your hand and follow the procedures in the manual for testing both those parts. JMHO!

jacks6514

Recruit
Thanks gm280. I too was trying the same denominator theory to narrow down possible issues. I will research shop manual and can post pic of schematic on here when i get manual and see if i can further diagnose. Thanks again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I hope you ordered an OMC factory service manual. The others aint worth a chit.

jacks6514

Recruit
GM280,
Well i recieved the manual and it was helpful to narrow down where the peoblem was. All electrical components were good to the power pack. Removed power pack and noticed a split in the silicone sealant on the back of the power pack. I proceeded to dig out the silicone and get to the board part of the power pack and found the capacitor burned out. Removed the capacitor and did not have exact size to replace but had two that would be close. Soldered them parallel and back into the board and engine started and ran good. Then a week later took rhe boat on a fishing trip and when i made it to the lake and unloaded boat wouldn't start. Checked at ramp and no spark at plugs again. Took the pack back off to see ifi could see anything obviously wrong and did not. I have been trying to locate the right size capacitor to try a fix this pack since i have found the problem. New pack is $200.