1984 40hp evinrude cooling system issues........

60LOWRIDER

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up a 1984 Evinrude 40ELCR thats less than 100 units off from the same motor I have on my 16ft sabre center console .It appeared to be in better condition than the one I have so I swapped it out on the boat last weekend.I hooked everything up and it started right up,but no water out the **** tube.........checked the hose but it appeared clear.....Now the fun begins.
First of all,I have 3-4 Seloc and Clymer manuals for this and none of them go into detail about it ,especially the part about disconnecting the SHIFT ROD.Even the internet was not much help, but some videos on larger evinrudes pointed me in the right direction.Eventually I found it under the lower carb.Its a 3/8 bolt that goes in from the port side to the starboard side.You have to remove the lower carb and starter to do this though.....After removing the lower unit and checking the water pump it appears to have been replaced and in good condition,so I put it back together and figured I would check the thermostat.
Same thing...no reference to doing this in my books,but I found its location on this sites parts diagram and commenced to taking it apart.In the process I sheared off three of the bolts.The culprit appears to be a clogged thermostat........Although it was stuck open,it was clogged up with all that white pasty stuff that accumulated after 30 years. I never had this problem with my original motor as I have never replaced the water pump or thermostat in the 24 years I have had it....
So........now I need to remove those three bolts (drill and easy out,should I heat them with a torch also?) and should I put another thermostat in and whats the best way to flush this all out?
And I also made a nice stand for the lower unit out of some scrap lumber lying around.

Attachments

• photo222290.jpg
    photo222290.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222291.jpg
    photo222291.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222293.jpg
    photo222293.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222294.jpg
    photo222294.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo222295.jpg
    photo222295.jpg
    754 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:

60LOWRIDER

Seaman Apprentice
Sprayed some liquid wrench on them and will try heating them a little and put some vice grips on them...

60LOWRIDER

Seaman Apprentice
Bought some cobalt drill bits and drilled out each bolt.It took about an hour and 3 beers for each bolt each day after work.......the telltale has a good stream and the water goes through different temperatures showing me the t stat is working,but the temp alarm is going off.I may have reinstalled the pressure relief valve backwards but can't find any reference material to check against....would this matter?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
your photos are thumbnails so i cant really make them out.
it might be that white gunk has filled in the water jacket around the cylinders too, they need cleaning out every few years themselves