1987 Evinrude leaking gear oil from "weep opening"

Tom6224

Cadet
I have a 1991 Steigercraft running a 1987 Envirude 90hp motor. Still has the original setup with an external oil reservoir pump mixing oil and fuel. After changing the lower unit gear oil, it has been leaking a fair amount of gear oil from a tiny "weep opening" on the lower half of the drive. Could this be normal? If oil is leaking out, i would guess salt water could weep in??? Additionally, when running on muffin the driveway I am noticing a small amount of water being pushed through the seem from the top and bottom half of the drive. I have read some responses which say the water could be normal because the house hose has a stronger water pressure than needed, but I have also seen responses stating that the small tube within the drive could be broken. Thoughts on either situation, or both would be greatly appreciated!!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The weep hole is there to be sure waiter drains from the leg. Very likely what you are seeing is unburned fuel which is normal.
It may smell gassy.
Your right if the residue is from the gear case ,somehow, you would have water intrusion in the gear case.