Tach doesn't work on 2003 Johnson 150

terrymason

Cadet
I'm trying to help my dad troubleshoot his boat - It's never run right since he bought it about 3 years ago (he didn't test drive it before buying it..).

2003 Johnson J150PLSTM

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The problems (in case some are interrelated):[/FONT]
1. The tach works only 20% of the time. The rest of the time it sits at 0.
2. Sometimes the engine lights on the tach show that the engine is overheating. This happens after idling for about 3-5 minutes. The engine won't run over 2500rpm during this.
3. Last time he took it out, he lost all electronics, and the motor wouldn't start.

I want to start with the easier stuff, and fix the tach first. I've begun by looking at all the connections, and they all look good, except for this one, on top of the engine. I believe it's the rectifier, but I'm not sure.
Optimized-IMG_2521.JPG

image_222237.jpg Optimized-IMG_2519.JPG

I've unplugged the tach, and plugged it in again. While working on the tach, and checking connections on the engine, the tach started working again, and continued to work for 10 minutes or so. I put the covers back on the engine, and started it up, and the tach no longer worked. No amount of wire wiggling would make it start working again.

So, I'm stumped, where should I start to get this tach working again?

Last edited: