1977 115 Hp Johnson, Click, Click, Click, Fire

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Outboard: 1977 115 hp Johnson

I have been tracing a gremlin in my boats electrical system that I seem to not be able to figure out. :confused:

Issue: When I turn the key, I get a click and what sounds like a sizzle.

The battery did have corrosion built up on the negative terminal, but after cleaning, a good charging and a test at an auto store the battery does not appear to be the issue. Moved on to the solenoid. It had the original equipment and with the starter unhooked I heard the click. Replaced and did not fix the problem. The starter was suffering from a pretty bad case of rust (original equipment as well) and I got a pretty good deal on a brand new one so I put a new one on. Still have the issue.

All the connections look clean and wires seem to be in good shape. I can get the motor started usually on the 4th to 5th time I turn the key. The motor runs great once it gets going, but I hate to go out on the water and not be able to get back. Last year put a new powerpack, ignition coils and rectifier as well as new spark plugs when I rebuilt the carbs a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am lost at the moment.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
My previous 1996 Force 120 engine did similar behavior. To resolve its random "click / click" problem, I:
- Replaced starters existing internal brushes. Hopefully, your new starter has NEW internal brushes.
- Bought brand new Marine battery. Previous was size 24. I replaced with next size up - size 27 (need new plastic battery box as well). re: Marine Battery 27DC-850N
- Replaced its factory thinner size battery cables with next thicker size as well. Think I bought a set of thick battery jumper cables (that where Red and Black marked) and installed (soldered) new ends of them.
- At each connection point, I applied dielectric grease (to make better contact).

After these upgrades, my Force 120 never went "click / click" again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
use jumper cables to work out which cable is bad. Water wicks up the cable and corrodes them internally under the rubber.
Start by putting a jumper from the negative to a good clean ground on the motor. And test, then keep that there and add a positive on one of the two sections of positve.... and repeat that on the other section.
Also make sure your bolts holding the starter on a clean threaded.
Yeah not getting back in is my concern always too, i use to only go out on an onshore wind

Bosunsmate

Admiral
By the way if all that doesnt find the issue then you will need to replace the insulating bushings on the starter. An easy job

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the suggestions. Considering the new starter did not fix the issue, it must be the battery or the cable. When I get home I will start to dissect the cables.

It is funny you mention the inshore wind because that usually determines which way I go on the river :)

Will Bark

Lieutenant
If your battery wires are not getting hot and are not corroded, then I would suspect the starter solenoid itself; "click, click" start sounds like solenoid internals to me. Good luck

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
A starter test is also needed: jump start it with a set of automotive jumper cables to a known strong battery. If it the starter cranks normally when jumped, it's ok. Have you checked the key switch?

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Everyone for the replies. To my surprise it was a bad battery cable, which is odd since I replaced them last year and it was reading the correct voltage. Guess they don't make them like they use to. :cold: