1993 evinrude 115 tracker starting question

Pablo_

Recruit
Hi,

I was wondering if it's normal that I always need to put the lever in neutral and "warmup" the motor everytime I start it, even if it ran for 15-20 minutes and should be warmed up. If I don't it just stalls.

Thank you.

chopperguy

Seaman
I have the same O/B. Mine only starts difficult when cold which is normal for a 2 stroke. When hot mine will fire without even lifting the throttle. So my answer would be no. What kind of maintenance has been done on the Engine? Have the thermostats been changed. Have the carbs been cleaned. For these engines to start and run properly the normal maintenance must be done. And yes it has to be in neutral.

Pablo_

Recruit
Actually I have just bought the boat, the guy who had it before me had it winterize and sold it to me as ready to go on the water. So I couldn't really answer your questions but I'll try getting answers from the old owner. Is it easy to clean the carbs and replace thermostat ? I have only done a compression test and looked at the oil on the foot and it all looked good.
Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as one of these motors being hard to start when cold.-----If the motor is in good condition it will fire right up if the proper starting procedure is used.---Again no such thing as being hard to start when cold !!-----Start the trouble shooting with a compression test.---That is the first thing to do.-----And post what your startiong procedure is.---Are you pushing in the key while cranking it over to start it ??

Pablo_

Recruit
Hi,
The result of the compression test were 110 on the 2 spark plug on the left and 102 and the 2 sparks plug on the right. I put the motor on neutral, pull the throttle ahead and push on the key and turn. It will start right away everytime but when ever I let the throttle go back to go in gear it will stall if I don't let it run enough time on the throttle.. And that's even after a 10-20 minutes ride.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps you need to bump up the idle speed.-----Or have a shop look at doing a procedure to synchronize carburetor opening with the timing advance.

chopperguy

Seaman
Ok, allow me to qualify my initial comment on two strokes starting hard. It's been my experience that carburerated two strokes are a bit difficult on initial cold start. I am talking about all two stokes from motorcycles, chainsaws, gas trimmers, and outboards. Mine is 22 years old with good compression, clean carbs, properly functioning ignition system and it still starts hard. Maybe mine needs more work too.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as one of these motors with the injection starting primer being hard to start.--------If your battery / cables / starter motor are in poor shape then the motor will crank slow.-----Not enough speed for the ignition system to generate spark properly.-----In most cases the reply is -----" my motor cranks just fine " -----simply because folks do not know how it is supposed to crank over with everything in tip top shape.

Pablo_

Recruit
So you think it's only a matter of bumping the idle speed ?
Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, this is something you can try without spending a $ on it.--Since I am not standing beside your motor so it can " talk to me " I can only suggest from maybe a 1000 miles away.