Supposed to go fishing tomorrow, HELP!

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice
So I just picked up a little fishing boat, a 14' aluminum and a 1975 Johnson Seahorse 9.9. Engine runs perfect, but I can for the life of me figure out how to get the motor to lock into position. Can anyone help me please? I have the pin set into the hole I want and then I drop the motor down, flip the lever down but it seems the hooks don't go down far enough onto the pin to lock the engine into place. This is so frustrating. Its dark and I'm supposed to go fishing tomorrow morning.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Shift it into reverse it should lock that the only time it's needed. It stays unlocked in forward in case you hit something the motor will kick up so not to damage anything.

Bassman86

Seaman Apprentice
my 9.8 only locks in reverse and neutral. in forward it is unlocked to kick up as said, and even if its having a problem of some kind, going forward pushes the motor toward the boat so it can still be used just fine on your fishing trip just dont go reverse if it wont hold because that will lift the motor up.

Last edited:

Starcraft_CSS

Seaman Apprentice
Well don't I feel like an idiot lol. Here I was thinking something wasn't right :/ thanks for not calling me a moron guys haha. I just figured with the resistance of the water it would push the motor back. Very new to outboards. Thanks again, wish us luck with the pickerel tomorrow!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It makes no difference if its locked down or not, you can still use it, the only issue is if you try to go anywhere in reverse you need to go slow or the motor may tilt up.