2000 70hp Johnson quit

halibutts

Cadet
This beast has run flawlessly for me over the past couple of years. I bought it used. I should mention that there was a bit of a hiccup a couple of months back, it would not shut down when I turned the key off. That didn't happen again other than sometimes it seemed reluctant to shut down.

Last trip out I was heading for the fishing grounds, clipping along just fine (about 3200rpm) and she just stopped. No hesitation or sputter just dead in the water. Still turns over just fine.

Discouraged and far from home, I loaded up my gear and made the four hour drive back home. Pulled in the driveway and turned the key just for grins and she popped right away. I was relieved.

Then parked and put her in the barrel to flush. pumped the bulb, choked and she came to life for about 5sec. Since then she only seemed to try and run after pumping the bulb.

1.I pulled the fuel filter and replaced with one that I could see into: squeeze the bulb, quick fire and then nada. the fuel never flowed through the filter

2. the water in the barrel head a LOT of black oil residue that I had never had before.

3. I checked compression 140,140, 155 that and the oil made me a little worried.

Now I have started looking into the complexities of the fuel pump and electric primmer deal. And I come back to that issue about the key not shutting her down. If something was up with the ignition at the key would it still turn over?

and shouldn't the fuel visibly flow through the filter?

sorry for the lengthy post and thanks