83 150 evinrude breather full of water.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was running good last time i had her out. Was showing it to sell, the fella kept planing out and then shutting it down allowing water to run up in the splashwell and killing the motor. Finally got it back to the dock and the sob took it back out when i was putting the trailer in the water. Got it back on the trailer and home. Next week wouldnt crank. Changed the plugs, crank and run only on starter fluid, removed breather, full of water. Removed bottom carb and dropped the bowls that was a watery mix too. Still starts only on starter fluid and dies after its out. Any ideas?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
First thing to do is check your fuel tank for any water. If that's okay , take the plugs out of bottom of the float bowls, hook up your fuel line and pump the primer bulb until pure fuel is coming out of the bowls. Put the plugs back in, pump it up and try and start it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Sounds like hes not going to buy it:faint:
if you have gotten water into the bottom crankcase, then you will pretty much need to take off the inlet manifold and clean it out.
Also undo the one way valves which come out of the base of the motor under the carb, if they fill with the globbular mix of water and oil they will not move fuel through the lines and itl tell you if water has gone back that far.
Dont let that happen again, i always ride shotgun when someones driving my boat:fish:

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That picture of getting hit with a fish is exactly how i feel about the whole ordeal, so i drained the bowls and blew out all the lines. They were full of grey glob took the carbs off , but not the manifold, parts stores are closed about to try again if i have some battery. Wish me luck.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No mess on the old plugs, i got a little fire, and quit, batteries are dead now, so ill charge em up and jack with the damn intake in the morning

Last edited:

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I lied couldnt go in without one more crank. Shes a running. Started out rough but is smoothing out.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Do a drop test, you dont want one cylinder running lean from grey gunk in the carb jets.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I jetted those carbs when i droppes the bowls. Guess i didnt put it cuz its habit. The real mess was in the fuel lines.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i guess ill go over the process for the next guy.
Remove breather and all the carbs. Disassemble all carbs and jet with carb cleaner, reassemble carbs. Remove all fuel lines from the cylinder side and suck them out. If you have a little hand pump awesome, for the rest of us i suggest rinsing your mouth with coke. In my case coke was closer than hand pump. Once thats all clear remove and inspect plugs, if they are gunky clean or replace, reassemble motor, use starting fluid to get her running. That crack will force the motor to exhaust water and push clean fuel through. Remember to get the kind with lubricant, dry starts like that are bad juju. Please note my motor was only partially submerged in the bottom carb. Took me a total of 2.5 hrs and i had to think, so imagine i just did the thinking for you.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ha ha i did and she sold about five minutes ago, so happy i could walk on water. Excited kid couldnt wait till morning to see it run, was too late to crank, so i wish him luck, im not turning down cash.