Evinrude Lark: Clymer or Solec Manual?

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
My dad has an old 35hp Evinrude Lark. I believe it is a "Golden Jubilee" edition which would mean it is a 1959 model (right?). It has sat unused for about 9-10 years but it ran really great at times back in the late 90's and early 2000's. It just quit getting used because the old tri-hull it was on was waterlogged and had transon issues on top of that. My dad tried to repair it but it was just too far gone.

I have gotten real into tinkering with small engines and have done some extensive work on a 70HP Force I own and think I can bring this old motor back to life. I'd like to get a solid manual before I dig too much into but I am not sure which one is going to be best for it. Solec and Clymer both offer one. I have the Clymer for the Force which is decent but I have never owned a Solec so I don't have much to compare to. Any opinions as to which one is better? I don't think the motor needs anything major, just a full fledged tune-up and possibly a new starter.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Either would likely work for basic maintenance stuff on the old Evinrude.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. Both are $20 on Amazon so I guess I will go with the Clymer based off of familiarity.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd rather have an OMC factory service manual than either one of those. JMO.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I'd rather have an OMC factory service manual than either one of those. JMO.

I would also prefer to get one of these but I couldn't find a used one for this particular motor. They are $55 here on iboats. Think it will be worth the extra $35? I am doing a rebuild on my 70 hp Force and have the service manual for it which has helped tremendously but I don't think this Evinrude needs that big of an overhaul. I'm thinking rebuilding the fuel delivery system, servicing the lower unit, checking and correcting the ignition system, and syncing/adjusting the carb is all it needs.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The OEM manual is always the best route to go, but for basic tune-up stuff the Seloc/Clymer type manuals generally do okay. They cover many years and models, so model-specific stuff may not always be included. Fortunately, your old Evinrude is a pretty simple motor that was built in one form or another for about 30 years, so the general stuff in the general manual should apply... You can always get the OEM manual if you need it down the line...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Should be able to pick a used one up on ebay for a reasonable price.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Should be able to pick a used one up on ebay for a reasonable price.

I was hoping so but I didn't see any on there. I got my Force service manual on Ebay for $17 shipped which was awesome.

I'll keep looking. I'm not gonna buy one and start on that motor until I get the Force done and I am waiting on my rebuild kit to come in at the moment. So I have a couple of weeks to hunt a good deal on the Evinrude manual.

Willyclay

Captain
Another forum member created a thread with online access to many Clymer manuals including one that covers your old Evinrude. It is the same one I used to completely rebuild my 1959 Johnson 35 which is the same as yours. FYI, it was my first outboard rebuild that started and ran on the first crank. Here's the link:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...boats?t=393281

LOGIN as directed in the thread, then drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Evinrude/Johnson, Outboard 35HP (1956-1964) and Condensed Service Data. Good luck with that great old motor!

EDIT: This link is to a FREE public library website.

Last edited:

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
EDIT: Deleted link, copyright infringement. See rule #3..

Last edited by a moderator:

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Another forum member created a thread with online access to many Clymer manuals including one that covers your old Evinrude. It is the same one I used to completely rebuild my 1959 Johnson 35 which is the same as yours. FYI, it was my first outboard rebuild that started and ran on the first crank. Here's the link:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...boats?t=393281

LOGIN as directed in the thread, then drill down to: Small Engines, Marine/Boat Motors, Evinrude/Johnson, Outboard 35HP (1956-1964) and Condensed Service Data. Good luck with that great old motor!

EDIT: This link is to a FREE public library website.

Wow. What an awesome site. On top of finding literature on this motor, I also found manuals for a project dirt bike I have and a four wheeler I own.

Willyclay

Captain
Totally agree. I found stuff I needed for chainsaws, lawnmowers and generators. Good luck!