50 HP 4-Stroke Evinrude killing intermittently (still...after a year)

brian6464

Cadet
Model is E50PL4EE.

This motor has been a pain in the rear for over a year. Starts great, runs great at low throttle but kills between 10 and 12 minutes. Run a little rougher at high throttle and kills much quicker (1 to 3 minutes). It have had it running for over 15 minutes in neutral at the dock without killing. With the fast idle lever engaged and tied to the dock, it will eventually kill. I have tried 2 separate external tank and hose assemblies and it kills on both in similar timeframes, so I believe it is something in the motor itself.

At the point it kills, the ball is nearly flat and I cannot keep it going by squeezing it. However, I can start it again if I wait 15 to 30 seconds.

I had it serviced last fall hoping to solve the problem. Following is what I was billed Qty 1 Filter AY, Fuel $42.85, Qty 1 Fuel Filter 25-140HP $12.99, Qty 3 NGK DCPR6E $6.25, Qty 4 1/2 Qt. 10W30 Marine $3.35, Qty 1 Oil Filter $11.99. The "resolution" comments were: Cleaned VST, Installed new filter, replaced high pressure filter, changed oil and filter, Test Ran Good.

Got it back to lake and it DID NOT run good as the shop mentioned. I took it back at the end of the season to winterize and check. They claimed they had pinched something in the cover which was causing it to eventually cut out. I thought it was fixed, but when I put it in the water last month, it exhibited the same behavior. Cuts out in the same previously mentioned timeframes. I also made sure to use new gas, so it was not bad gas.

I realize the shop cannot necessarily replicate the behavior since they cannot run it at high enough RPM's for long enough. Would it be too much to ask them to come to the lake (10 miles away) where I could easily replicate the behavior for them within 10 minutes.

Any recommendations on next steps? I'm not overly mechanical, but willing to research and try appropriate suggestions. Important to note also that the motor only gets used every 2 or 3 weeks as it sits at my cabin 3 hours away. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo221805.png
    photo221805.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221807.png
    photo221807.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 0

daselbee

Commander
Sucks the ball flat, AND dies regularly at specific timed intervals....it is running out of gas.

I will bet that the VST is empty every time is dies.

You probably have to pump the bulb for quite a while to refill the fuel system, then it will run again for the specified times.

I think it is simply running out of gas, due to the fuel restriction as indicated by the flat primer bulb.

Look at your tank. Anti-siphon valve, and the actual pickup for clogs.

brian6464

Cadet
Thanks Daselbee. Are you saying fuel restriction in the external tank/ hose assembly or fuel restriction in the motor? I want to point out that I can easily restart it each time by waiting 15 seconds and WITHOUT having to squeezing the primer ball at all.

I have also tried out one brand new tank and hose assembly, so I don't think that would be the issue. However, it was not OEM (Attwood tank and hose). Someone else mentioned to me that the Attwood setup would have a check valve and I would be better off using something with no check valve to rule out sticking.

If I try another external tank and hose assembly with the same result, what would be my next area to troubleshoot?

daselbee

Commander
What I am saying is pretty simple. If you have the primer bulb collapsing, fix that problem.
You get that fixed, the engine will not run out of gas.

That's what I think is happening.

Usually the primer bulb collapsing is due to a restriction between the bulb and tank.

brian6464

Cadet
Ok, got it.

However, I have already tried two tanks and hose assemblies, both properly vented and with fresh gas and one being brand new. I'll try another one and make sure I use a new OEM hose with no check valve. Assuming it does the same thing, I don't understand how going through three tanks could still indicate a tank and hose assembly problem.

daselbee

Commander
ok....I am telling you that NO outboard will operate properly if the bulb is collapsing. I will not attempt ant type of additional debugging of this problem until the collapsing bulb problem is resolved. that is first. that is the priority.

now why three tanks do it? who knows....I am not there. but it is something obvious. fix that and the other problem will likely go away.