76 25hp Johnson Tilt Up lock

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was curious if these motors came with a tilt lock for the up position. It works fine in the down lock but I don't see anywhere on the motor that will keep it locked in the up position. I'm just going to use it or trolling so need to pull it up when I run the main motor. If necessary, I have an older OMC hydraulic assist lift bracket but it needs new bushings, a transom wedge, and a few stainless replacement bolts before it can be mounted. Ocean salmon season opens this weekend so id rather get the boat ready than rebuild the bracket.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
There is a nut on the stbd side of the tilt bolt and acts as a friction lock to hold the motor up. Tighten that up to hold the motor up. Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up your motor and you'll see what I mean. Look under exhaust hsg.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for your response. I was afraid that was all there is. The tension bolt and bushings work as they should. I fish the big water Off the Washington coast so its quite a stretch off the transom getting to the motors as it is and the extra amount of friction needed to keep it up in bumpy seas just requires too much force while leaning off the back to do it quickly and safely.

I purchased,some new bushings, bolts, at McLendonsm today, replaced the gas assist unit, and reassembled the OMC bracket (correctly this time) tonight. I also shaped and glassed up some honeycomb for the bracket angle wedge to get the bracket true water vertical. I realized quickly that the width of the mount I built as two 2x4's wide with a 1/2 x 7 plywood backing (wrapped in cloth, glassed up and gel coated) fit the motor mounts great but was now 1" too narrow to bolt the bracket to. Ho hum, got out the grinder, added another 2x4 and wrapped tanother layer of glass and Poly..

I was,surprised to find the transom was angled sooo much! 10" down, 1 " out. I'll get it all mounted tomorrow.

Last edited:

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Well I got the bracket mounted today and did a sry fit. It looks like it still might be too low,even though the top of transom lift plate is a full 7" above the transom. Fortunately I can probably get it up another 3"-5". If that looks like it will do the trick I'll pick up a set of 4 stainless bolts, reinforce it further with more fiberglass shoot it with some paint.

Attachments

• photo221884.jpg
    photo221884.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221885.jpg
    photo221885.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221886.jpg
    photo221886.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0