Ongoing 1993 Evinrude 115 problems...

Party hut Chris

Seaman Apprentice
I'm going to try to include lots of details here, so hopefully someone will know what's going on. Thanks first of all to Racerone, who has given me some great help.

1. 3 weeks ago, boat was running fine, stalled out, and would not catch and run. Towed back to shore by friends.
2. 1 week later--New battery, new plugs, engine runs fine for 5 minutes, (after I let it run and idle at dock the previous day for 20 minutes- ran like a champ). Stalls out after shuddering and losing power, comes to a halt.
3. Same day, boat will catch and fire, run for 3 minutes at a time letting me get back to dock.
4. I found a hose that was not attached to anything, discovered that it belonged to a broken nipple underneath the primer solenoid.
5. Replaced primer solenoid cap and gasket today, checked all the connections, ran like new for 20 minutes at dock, so I put her in gear, backed onto the lake, and the damn thing dies AGAIN. Loses power and shuts down. I prime it a couple of times, choke it, and it goes back to dock.

Question 1. Could the primer solenoid cap that I replaced have anything to do with the boat dying out?
Question 2. What does it mean if the fuel primer bulb never gets and stays hard?
Question 3. Should I just get rid of the damn thing before I literally go off the deep end?
Question 4. Does anyone have an idea what might be going on? Carbs? Fuel pump?

(And do you get demoted to galley-washer for too many newbie questions?)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No point jumping up and down.------Post the facts on the motor.---Compression values and does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all 4 leads?

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say you have a leak in the fuel line somewhere and your getting air into the line.

mike

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The fuel primer solenoid could be a factor, depending on how you have the red lever set. If it's in the "service" position, it may not run well at all. Make sure it's in the "run" position. What happens if you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb when it's running? If the engine runs normally as long as you prime the fuel hose bulb-you've got a fuel delivery problem-maybe a weak fuel pump. The fuel primer bulb will get hard the first time you pump it up at the start of each day. Once the engine starts to draw fuel thru the hose, the bulb will soften-but it should not collapse on itself. That's normal.

Party hut Chris

Seaman Apprentice
Stupid question, but I don't have a manual for this thing...where should the lever be set? Right now it points directly to the body of the primer- directly to port.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
According to my service manual, the primer lever should point down for run and nearly up for manual prime.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The red lever should be set to run parallel to the length of the solenoid for the "run" postion. 90 degrees from that is the "service" position.

Party hut Chris

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks emdsapmgr- that's where it is. Ok all- haven't had a chance to pull the plugs and check compression, but had to go cover the boat yesterday, so I primed it, turned the key, and it ran beautifully for 5 minutes, then started to shudder and turned off. I just don't get how it can be so Jekyll and Hyde! Testing compression tomorrow...

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Those solenoid housings can crack with a hairline hard to see crack that is just enough to leak air and foul things up
Check for that

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When the engine start to shudder, try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. See what happens. If it runs ok as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb, you've got a weak fuel pump or a fuel restriction.

Party hut Chris

Seaman Apprentice
Empsapmgr and SparkleBoat...yes, and no. I discovered that whatever fuel I pump through the primer bulb burns off and the engine quits. I also know that the bulb NEVER firms up or gets hard...ever. In my limited experience, I am changing the bulb and fuel line tomorrow in hopes that that is the culprit. SparkleBoat...no- haven't been down that road yet, because it just seems starved for fuel...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Old primer bulbs do go bad. Sometimes the ball valves in the bulb won't work properly. Sounds odd, but the hose bulb should be oriented so that the arrow on the bulb is pointed in a generally upward manner. If it's laying downhill in the spashwell of the boat, sometimes the old bulbs don't work as designed. Check how yours is oriented. May or may not make a difference.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Air does not leak in at the solenoid primer.---Take the VRO pump apart for an inspection .----Very easy pump to work on.---Or replace it with say a pump from an 88 / 112 hp special model.---The place to bolt that simple pump on is already there near the starter.---Gasket and 2 screws required.---Gas and oil need to be mixed at 50:1 with the simple pump.

SparkieBoat

Captain
if it is starved for fuel try pumping the bulb while it is acting up and see if it fixes it. the bulb should not be hard while the engine is running because the fuel is sucked through the line not pushed, but it should get hard before you start the motor, if it does not then you either have a bad bulb, a leaking needle valve, or a leak somewhere else. a new fuel line and connectors is always a good idea, if you are sucking air anywhere it can cause low fuel to the carbs. but you said it ran great for 5 mins. this is way more fuel than what is in your carb bowls. you should test your over heat alarm and check your motor temp when problem occurs. if you can not hold your hand on the head for 5 secs it is too hot.

Last edited:

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, you pump the bulb, fill the carb bowls, start the motor and it runs the fuel out of the bowls and dies. Fuel pump.

mike

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does this motor run with a plastic fuel tank ??---Some of these cheap fuel tanks are just plain bad.----Inspect the pick-up tube INSIDE the tank.