1990 48 HP spl?? Year/model? Lower unit oil leak & starting prob.

dro510

Cadet
Trying to figure out if this motor is indeed a 1990. There are is serial number plate. Was told it was a 1990 but the mechanic isnt too trustworthy ,im thinking, hopefully I'm wrong. Here is some pics below.

The problems im having: All the oil came out the lower unit from behind the prop area when trying to diagnose a starting problem in my driveway. Luckily not in the water.
I immediately turned it off and have not messed with it since. My buddy is pushing me to get it going and I wouldnt mind at least figuring the issue out.

The starting problem: First noticed it running rough maybe a little sputtering i was feeling. After it starting up in the a.m., I had a really hard time starting it through out the day. At the end of the day it did not want to start at all. just alot of cranking.

my buddy suggests we change the fuel filter?? Rule it out at least. I dont have a filter on my fuel line either : / (its just a 6.6 gallon tank)

Took it out again after it starting up at home in the driveway on the ear muffs. It started up, didnt feel smooth got out to our spot and did not want to start back up..
Thats when i took it home, think the next day it starts up in the driveway. was giving it gas then noticed all the oil leaking from behind the prop area. Turned it off and havent dealt with it yet..

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The cowling makes it look like a 1990 model.----The red lever on the electric primer does not appear to be in the run position.

dro510

Cadet
Regarding the oil problem. I mean ALL the oil came out it was just kinda flowing. Have the prop shaft / bearing carrier loose , gonna replace the seals and
o-ring with lower unit seal kit coming in the mail. Hopefully that should seal it n keep it sealed!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Try running it with the red lever in the correct position.----And are you pushing the key in while cranking it over to start this motor ?