1996 Johnson 115HP - stalls when put into gear

mlor165

Recruit
I have a Johnson 115HP 2 stroke that starts without issue and initially goes into gear and runs. After only a few minutes, the engine stalls and will start again but once put into gear stalls. This goes on to the point I can no longer put the engine into gear as the engine immediately stalls.
The engine started up immediately after the winter storage and still starts fine. Apparently once under load and entered into gear, it stalls. Any help is appreciated.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You don't say just which model engine you have. That year OMC made two distinctly different 115's. The older crossflow and the newest looper model. Both very different 2-strokes. Perhaps you could elaborate just which one you have, or just post the model number off the serial tag. An engine that struggles to run in gear may not be firing on all cyls. Those engines will seem to run just fine, sitting on the trailer-when running on only 2 or 3 cyls. Really hard to tell until you load the engine by putting it in gear. So, spark check it first. Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. May run fine when cold, then not so when it begins to warm up.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You've got a V-4 looper. Now do that compression test and a spark test. Spark should jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester. Get back to us.

mlor165

Recruit
Will do the test this weekend, will advise outcome. Thanks for the feedback

mlor165

Recruit
Thanks, I ended up having the motor checked out and it was a faulty VRO Pump which was replaced. Also there was a crack in one of the carb ports (they are plastic and learned they crack often). Engine was running great but now I'm encountering another issue. Under load, the engine itself bucks every 30 - 40 seconds. i thought originally it could be a timing issue, bad gas etc. but on idle and reffing the engine runs perfect and there is no bucking whatsoever. When getting the VRO replaced I was told I may need a control assembly eventually due to the gears being worn out, not sure if that could be the issue or not. Engine still runs fine, I'm just concerned with this bucking - the engine actually jumps. Wondering if lower unit as well, hoping it's not. Any ideas greatly appreciated.