Stalls at low rpm/idle

Gfmclachlan

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 87 60hp Johnson which runs great at all speeds except low rpm,fires up wonderfully, yet stalls at idle or trolling speeds after a minute or two.I have seen many threads on this yet want to open it up here if ok. I think it stems from an air leak in the fuel lines, but not positive.It was fine prior to changing the water fuel separator, then problems began. I added fuel to that prior to install. I changed the fuel lines and primer ball just prior to the separator so I don't think that is it. I changed the fuel connector to engine too. I notice the inline fuel filter on the engine barely has any gas in it(certainly not near the line it marks) when I have the cowling off and muffs on. Strange thing it doesn't conk out in driveway. Will air automatically purge when it runs if air is in the system? I am wondering if not, can I bleed it to see if that's it? Maybe the idle is off and I need to adjust that? Other than this I read about engine tune up, decarb etc. but I think it stems from fuel and air leak. I can't see getting into this deep if overall it runs and starts great.thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression test on it and then the carbs. Pay attention to the low speed circuits in the carbs.

Roccoi

Recruit
Did you figure it out? Mine does something like this after I stop and re-start it. But only on idle or very little throttle.