Decarb a good running old engine?

Gfmclachlan

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 87 60 hp 2 stroke Johnson engine that runs great(kow), albeit gasses out on idle(question for my next thread), but am exploring ways to maintain its life. I Defog in winter etc., change plugs , use stabilizers etc etc.but came across threads mentioning decarbing. I am the 3rd owner, and know it hasn't been decarbed, if ever, for at least 15 years. Is it a good idea to decarb? Could I potentially cause more harm than good at this point ...if there is a lot of build up, can enough of it gunk something up? It also still has a functioning inboard fuel tank.
If yes, should I go with omc spray? Seafoam? I'm wondering if it's better not to mess with more additives in an old tank?thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I would get the OMC engine tuner in the spray can and follow it to the letter on the instructions on the can.

Gfmclachlan

Seaman Apprentice
That's what I was leaning towards, although I have read reports about decarbing causing harm in some cases. Do you use 'carb' cleaner spray too at times? As part of regular maintenance?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Do you use 'carb' cleaner spray too at times? As part of regular maintenance?

NO!!!!!! Carb cleaner it to be used on carbs that are broken down for cleaning. That stuff will eat up your carb floats, gaskets, etc. It is not to be in contact with anything other than metal. If you aren't going to do a full carb breakdown just listen to Boobie.