SHIFTING PROBLEM 83 JOHNSON 140 V4

GILBOMAN2002

Cadet
HAD THE POWER HEAD REPLACED, AND SINCE HAVE HAD SHIFTING PROBLEMS. I'VE ADJUSTED THE CABLE TO NEAUTRAL, CAN GET FORWARD BUT NO REVERSE. IF I ADJUST THE CABLE TO GET REVERSE THEN I GET NO FORWARD. THERE IS A LOT OF MOVEMENT IN THE SHIFTER LEVER ON THE MOTOR. CABLES ARE NEW. COULD IT BE THE SHIFTER ROD NEEDS ADJUSTMENT?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Are the nylon bushings in place on the shift arm below the intake manifold? If they got lost during the powerhead replacement, you'll have lots of slop in the linkage.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
OMC made two sets of shift linkage bushings for the intake manifold that Chinewalker mentioned. Depends on which year bushing you purchased for your year. One bushing is correct, the other is too loose and will cause shifting problems-like those you describe. I've been down that path on my 79.

GILBOMAN2002

Cadet
THANKS
THE SHOP THAT INSTALLED THE POWER HEAD INSTALLED THE WRONG BUSHINGS. REPLACED THEM BUT STILL HAVE THE SAME SHIFTING PROBLEM. SEEMS TO BE TO MUCH TRAVEL FOR LINKAGE FROM NEAUTRAL TO FORWARD OR REVERSE.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Have you disconnected the shift cable at the engine end-then tried to shift the engine while running-by hand? If it won't shift normally by hand, then the problem is within the engine. Is the clevis (shift rod lever) loose? Is the shift pin tightly seated? How old is the shift cable itself? Does the shift lever have the correct shift lever washers in the correct place?

GILBOMAN2002

Cadet
Thanks for your help. Problem fixed. The clevis that holds the shifting rod needed to be tightened down. Plus installed a tighter bushing on the left side of the intake manifold. Dealer could not help me with the bushing. Had to improvise. Used a piece of clear rubber hose . Not sure how long this will last but, shifting rod has no slop and shifts great . Again Thanks !

hi. i have practically the same problem. i can get forward but no reverse. but then i adjusted and got reverse and then no forward.. but sometimes when i adjust to get reverse the metal part comes out of the plastic tube to far and then buckles to the point where i cant shift it back to nothing else. any ideas are welcomed. and its difficult on a bigger boat where i have to keep going back and forth from the engine compartment to the actual shift handle, or can i just do it all from the engine? P.S. this is a new shift cable. and it really hard to find a sweet spot for reverse.
ENGINE IS A 898 MERCRUISER

Last edited: