Lifting Ring - 1984 Johnson 115hp

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A three legged lifting ring is optional but necessary for this motor if it is to be lifted. At about $300 OEM, I would like to improvise something similar that will do the job.

Has anyone done this?? There are three threaded holes on top of the flywheel that would seem to be the base holes for the proper lifting ring. Would bolts threaded into these holes be strong enough to hold the 300 lb weight of the motor when linked together with a chain?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Before I purchased a factory lifting fixture, I used to use my 3-legged automotive harmonic balancer puller. Works fine and a lot less expensive. Just does not have the lifting eye. Make sure it's got grade 8 bolts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????----The parts book shows that the motor left the factory with a lift bracket on top of the block behind the flywheel.-----If it is missing then get one !

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The parts book shows the lifting ring for ALL the V4s as the diagram is a general diagram. It also shows the bubble back for the 90hp if you're just looking at the diagram. However, the 115 with PT&T had a water cooled voltage regulator on the top of the block where the lifting ring and cover would be on the non-PT&T models.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have a variety of adapters I made myself.-----Crankshaft thread in one end and 1/2-NC on the other end.--Use and eyebolt in one end.------Take flywheel nut off and thread on the lifter.----Lifts motor straight up.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
ive taken heavy starter off and flywheel and lifted it with two people easy, but im very strong:yo:

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Here's one my welder buddy cobbled up for me. Works great. Cost a case of beer ...

I prefer it to the factory one cuz it lifts the motor straight up vs cocked at an angle.

Attachments

• LiftingEye.JPG
    LiftingEye.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I like your yellow lifter :) and it gives me an idea. How far into the cover do you send your three bolts down. The manual warns of not going in to far for fear of damaging something underneath. 8m bolts go down easily about 3 turns but I don't think this is far enough to hold.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
no way is that far enough. I wont guess how many but its like an inch or something, poke a torch down there.
You definitely dont want them down to far as yes it will hit something, the stator or timing base but if you dont do it enough the bolts will rip out the threads and you will then have to retap them.
Its not brain surgery how deep to go just have a look down there and have a feel with a little screwdriver as to where the threads stop, i go about 2/3rds of the way

Last edited: