Trim and tilt wiring question

stevetags

Cadet
I installed a trim and tilt unit on my 40 horse johnson. I bought a 2 wire conversion kit to wire it up with an up and down relay it was pre wired. I attached the fused power source wire to the constant hot on my starter solenoid I then ran a wire again from that constant power to the middle of my three position toggle switch. I thought this was correct wiring and I could get power from the constant hot on the solenoid but I was running my boat today and my t&t stopped working after I removed the hood I saw why, the wire coming from the constant hot to the switch was completely fried I'm surprised and thankful there wasn't a fire. I used 10 guage thhn too because that's just what I had. I don't get what i did wrong I used the trim and tilt probably 20 times before this happened. any help or suggestions would be greatly

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You do have the unit properly grounded? The relays are to supposed to be grounded, when not energized.

It kinda sounds like you now have a dead short, but without seeing the unit, it is hard to tell.

stevetags

Cadet
think i found the culprit, instead of using a factory trim and tilt switch i used a cheap toggle switch and i found that the middle constant power terminal on the switch actually broke off there is a clean break on the switch nothing burnt. that loose wire in there must have shorted to ground. luckily the motor runs fine. I'm going to replace the switch with a factory t&t cowling switch to avoid future problems. thank you for the help chris!