Walk through this with me: 1960 Evinrude Fastwin 18 hp 15032

wegngis

Cadet
This motor ran a few years ago, but not since I've had it. I'm getting no spark (verified by putting a spark tester inline), so the first thing I did was to pull the flywheel and inspect the coils and other ignition parts. Sure enough, one coil had a wire that had the insulation rubbed off, and was basically broken. I could get continuity on it if I held it just right, but otherwise shot. The other coil tested ok for continuity and resistance.

Can one bad coil cause the whole thing to not spark? Hmm, now that I think about it more, perhaps the bare wire was causing a short of some kind. At any rate, my plan is to replace both coils, as well as points and condensers. Should I do the spark plug lead wires too? They look good, but experience tells me that 'looks' and 'functionality' don't always go hand-in-hand with plug wires.

Anything else I should be considering to get spark back?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Both coils/ignition are independent of the other. If it were my motor I'd replace both coils and the condensers. I'd dress the points if they look okay otherwise. Make sure they're super clean after dressing (sand paper or nail file) them. If the wires are okay in appearance I'd snip the ends (there isn't too much extra - watch out) and go from there. If the motor was a salt water motor the wires may need replacement. ps If the coils are the original which may be a clear pink color you can guarantee they're no good.

wegngis

Cadet
I'd dress the points if they look okay otherwise. Make sure they're super clean after dressing (sand paper or nail file) them.

I've never heard that term, can you give me the 5 second review? Maybe it's something I'm already doing.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Dressing the points means to clean them to a polished sheen. Also means to make sure they're squared up to each other, as sloppy, worn points may be out of square...

In general, if the coils LOOK good, they're likely good. Original coils from that era WILL be cracked. If the coils aren't cracked, they've likely been replaced at some point and likely will not need replacement. The newer ones are very durable.

wegngis

Cadet
Thanks for that clarification. As for the coils, one is shot, and it doesn't feel right to replace just one, so I'm looking at replacing both.