1975 50hp evinrude. How far do i go before repowering

Sirrealism

Recruit
Hi guys "and girls" So i just picked up a boat motor and trailer. Boat is a 1985 17' bluefin aluminum. Boat itself is in pretty good shape. Floor is solid, Has a nice bimini. Trailer looks great and is a drive on. Now we come to the issue. The motor is a 50573b which from looking that up online says its a 1975 50hp. The boat is rated for a 50hp. Now the story goes the motor was running fine but the top carb was puking gas out so they took the carb off. I do have the carb and all the items they took off. I am missing controls and steering controls for the boat and motor. My question is how far do I go with this motor before I just repower it. My thought is to get the motor running and if I can for less then say 200$ then I will find the controls for it. I live in Hudson FL "Outside of Tampa" and there are plenty of boat junk yards around so I am pretty sure I can find the controls pretty easy and cheap. Is this 50hp a good motor? It is very clean and no signs of other issues. This is not my first boat but its been some time. I am a Transmission Tech so I am pretty handy. I started looking for another motor and it seems there is not much around. Lots of 10-25hp and lots of 115+ but not much in the 45-70 range. Found a great deal on a 115 but I think its just way to big. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sirrealism

Recruit
Oh and I got the boat cheap but not looking to put big money in it until I get it on the water and make sure I really like it. I think I will like it alot. My last boat was a 15' tri-hull with an old johnson 65 on it. It was very heavy and pretty slow which is why I like the idea of an aluminum boat. I am not a speed demon but I want it to be able to cruse without being wide open.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rebuilding a carb and replacing controls is a lot less strenuous than replacing a motor think of it like water take the path of least resistance.

Sirrealism

Recruit
Thanks henleyhale. This was kind of my thoughts also but I wanted to make sure the motor was not a junk one. If its a quality motor then its worth making it right. I like old school stuff. "Drive a 74 f100 and a 62 honda dream" so to me the fact its a 1975 is no big deal. But there were some lemons made back then also so since I dont know boat motors that well I wanted to make sure.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've owned a 70s evinrude was a good motor. If you still have 2nd thoughts test your compression, if it's really low reevaluate.