1960's Evinrude 40HP stiff low speed needle

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Folks,

having some idle sputtering, Was going to reset the speed needle on the carb. It is very hard to turn, the knob is long gone and with just the shaft I am unable to turn it by hand.

Using pliers I gently rocked it 1/2 turn rich then lean so as not to bottom out the needle since I cant feel when it would be snug due to the pliers and resistance.

I assume turning it rich enough would eventually remove the needle correct? My last motor (same thing basically) I could easily turn the needle by hand.

I'm going to redo the carb on Thursday but the kit i purchased didn't come with a new needle.

Do you think if I remove the needle and spray it through with a cleaner that it will resolve this? Now I'm kinda worried how dirty the rest of the carb will be.

Rich is to loosen, Lean is to tighten right?

On the bright side, probably all related to the rough idle.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Try loosening the packing nut first. If that doesn't fix it, you probably will have to remove it. But once you remove it, you probably will allow fragments of the packing to enter the hole. Then that would have to be cleaned out.

You really ought to find a knob for the needle, even if it is the wrong one. Keep using the pliers on it and after awhile it will be so chewed up it won't hold a knob.

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought about just drilling a hole through the end of the shaft where the knob would go and putting a small nut and bolt through it. Think the handle on a bench vise.

I did a quarter turn on the packing nut, helped a bit but still had to resort to pliers.

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ordered a carb kit and did a rebuild. The rubber grommet inside the seat for the needle was warn and disintegrating. I cleaned out the loose bits and was able to set the needle by hand easily. Engine runs better then ever.