Questions about 1995 Evinrude/OMC 130HP

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey fellas, long time no see.

I am graduating into a bigger boat. I am looking at a boat with a 1995 OMC/Evinrude 130HP. Model number is E130TXAOR. Its dual head, 4 cylinder. Was put up 6 years ago. I have a few questions about it. The owner is a good friend of mine so I am very confident that what he is telling me is true. Motor is clean. Will be checking compression before I take her home.

1. I have heard mixed things about the mid-late 90's evinrudes. Is the build quality up to par?

2. The boat has a 65 gallon fuel tank, so I have no desire to try and mix oil with gas. The motor has a VRO pump (if that is still what they were called in the 90's). Should I trust the pump and let her fly, or remove it and mix ungodly amounts of oil into the huge fuel tank?

3. The owner told me that he flooded the carbs with oil from the VRO oil pump tank (by squeezing the primer bulb) when he put the boat up. The motor is free. I plan to rebuild the carbs regardless. Is this normal behavior, or does this sound wacky? Maybe I mis-understood him.

4. Does this motor have 4 carburetors?

Here's some shots of her. Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It has 4 carburetors.------Trust the VRO pump ???---Since it has not run for a while you do this.-----Mark the oil tank level.----Run with a portable tank mixed at 50:1 .---When that is empty you top up the oil tank and see how much oil was used.---Replace the water pump impeller too.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
It has 4 carburetors.------Trust the VRO pump ???---Since it has not run for a while you do this.-----Mark the oil tank level.----Run with a portable tank mixed at 50:1 .---When that is empty you top up the oil tank and see how much oil was used.---Replace the water pump impeller too.

Thanks Racer that is a good idea with the portable tank.

Does it sound normal that the carbs have been flooded with oil from the VRO oil tank? Do people do this on purpose or have I misunderstood something that the owner was saying to me?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hook up fuel and prime to fill carburetors.---Prime oil line too.------See if it will start.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Ok I guess I will try and fire her up. I am really skeptical about carburated engines and will more than likely rebuild the carbs either way.

Talked to the owner and what he said was he didn't store the oil tank with the vent open so the pressure from the oil tank relieved itself in the carbs. Im glad that he cleared that up.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Racer, the previous owner had a leakdown test run on the motor and the results were as follows:

#1 7%, #2 11%, #3 4%, #4 5% Does this sound okay or does #2 sound too far out of spec?

Can anyone tell me the cylinder #'s on the evinrude V4 motors?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Top cylinder is #1 and bottom cylinder is # 4------------Post results of a compression test.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I never had good luck with leak down tests on outboards. Best to do a compression test.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I never had good luck with leak down tests on outboards. Best to do a compression test.

Boobie, whats up brother?? Long time no see. That E-rude 75horse that you helped me out with (shift shaft removal and fuel nipple on carb) is running like a DREAM!! I have put over 200 hours on her in the past few years, and that motor is the least of my worries on my fishing trips!!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Guys, I dont have the motor in front of me, but am ordering parts to replace. I want a waterpump kit, but there are 2 kits. One is for 25in shaft, other is for 20in shaft. How can I tell (without measuring)? The model number is E130TXAOR. I know that counter rotation is 130CX, and there are two standard rotation motors, 130TX and 130TL. Which one is extra long shaft?

Nevermind. L is 20" X is 25"

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I thought that was you. Glad to hear the 75 is still running. I'll try to help you out this time around.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Update, motor is in great shape. Compression is #130 in all four cylinders. Motor has 112 hours on it. I plan on checking the VRO like racer suggested. You guys think I should just run some fuel to her and see if shell start up, or just go ahead and break the fuel system down?