Johnson 1956 FD-10 15hp problems

Waterfowlnut

Cadet
Hello all, new member to site, but I often come here for reference. Seems like a great group of guys here, I've been tinkering with older outboards for a little while but I'm still a newbie.
OK, so a little background about my engine.. I got this engine with a project boat I bought a few years back. The seller said he had it in his barn for about 15 years and was never able to get it running. When I received it, it pulled over fine, had good spark but was just rough cosmetically. I pulled the carb off, cleaned it, put it back together, primed tank, and with gas leaking out of the carburetor it fired up on the third pull. So...
I rebuilt the carb, replaced all the seals in the lower unit, (the gears were all shiny and looked good) and replaced the impeller with a new wear plate. Check of the cylinders said 84 and 85 psi, good blue spark on both, replaced the plugs and made sure they were gapped to 30. Runs like a champ in a barrel, starts by the third pull. Except... On the port side of the engine on the exhaust leg, there's that small "weep" hole about midway up, while running there's frothy, foamy gas/water mixture coming out, on the back of my boat (14' 1957 crestliner commodore) it'll troll just fine, up to about 1/4 throttle it's good, but at WOT it won't come up on plane, makes a decent wake, but won't move faster than about 5 mph. That's with my 120 lb wife in the bow, I had it out once by myself, and with a half a cooler full of water in the bow it did plane out sorta and cruised along at about 10-15 mph-ish. Something's definitely not right it should have a whole lot more power than that. Any ideas? My 1963 18 hp Johnson shoves this boat like a bat outa h*#$, and there nothing coming from the that small hole in the exhaust leg. I'd really like to get this motor running right, any ideas suggestions are greatly appreciated. Maybe a back head gasket between cylinders? The coils looked good through the viewing hole under the flywheel but I don't have a flywheel puller. Could the electrical be the problem?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it might be running on one cylinder.----Will your good spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more ?

Last edited:

Waterfowlnut

Cadet
Not sure, don't have a spark tester, holding either of the plugs on the engine it shows a nice blue spark, what's with the foamy stuff coming from the that hole? Bad seal somewhere? Or is the spark not quite strong enough to efficiently burn off all the fuel?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Are your coils the original pinkish color? If so you can count on them 100% being no good. You can get a spark with a bad coil but under load it will fail. The frothy foamy gas oil mixture is normal. Another thing to check as for the lack of power. Is the slip clutch in the prop bad?

Waterfowlnut

Cadet
When I had the lower unit apart, all the gears and clutch looked great. No worn gears, clutch moved freely and no signs of heavy wear.
I'm going to get a spark tester and flywheel puller this week and pull flywheel, and have a look.

Last edited:

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check for spun prop if RPM at WOT sounds good but no speed. Also the cylinder drop test will quickly let you know if you are running on one plug.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I agree, it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. That would result in a drastic power loss. It would also account for the froth/oily discharge. The discharge is the result of the problem, not the cause of the problem. It is unburned gas/oil mixture going out the exhaust and emulsifying with the cooling water outlet. It is unburned because it isn't firing on that cylinder, just blowing the unburned fuel charge out the exhaust. Get it running on both cyls and it will clean itself up.