1976 Johnson 25HP Seahorse Starting trouble

steve71994

Recruit
Hi everyone. New to the forums and tried searching around for an answer, but to no avail. Trying to get my recently purchased 1976 Johnson to start consistently. Manually started. Only starts consistently if I remove the motor cover and depress the throttle cam follower.

Checked proper starting procedure (Place in neutral, Throttle to 1/2-3/4, hand pump primer until bulb is firm, choke out for cold start, pull drawstring, hope, insert choke slowly if motor starts). My shutdown procedure is to flush with fresh water for ~5 minutes, disconnect fuel hose, allow to burn remaining fuel.
Verified fuel/oil mixture is correct. Using normal 87 octane gasoline.
Checked both spark plugs and have spark when pulled.

I feel like having to go in and manually depress the throttle cam follower every time to start is a) not the safest thing to do since it frequently puts me near the moving parts (those teeth), and b) is a band-aid for something more serious. I'm a rookie when it comes to outboards and two strokes, and I could really use the help as I love boating/fishing, but so far my wife is far short of impressed with boating.

Tomorrow I plan on using some Seafoam in a fresh tank of gas and burning a WOT run to clean out the fuel system, after I swap out the lower unit oil. (I found the lower unit oil was an opaque tan color on a separate note, and based on the results of the test run tomorrow will replace the seals in the lower unit if water is getting into the lower unit/gear case. It may have just been previous owner using oil for a very long time with very slow water entry leading to emulsification, but based on other forums, it seems like some seals are bad.) I will also replace the spark plugs as they are inexpensive (probably due to be replaced anyways) and will rule out the spark being insufficient.

I'd really appreciate any help with the starting problems. I can handle replacing seals, but the starting problems are new to me.
Thanks guys! Help me keep this whole boating hobby before the wife gets too fed up with it! :facepalm:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Who say that you need to manually depress the throttle cam follower, is turning the throttle not doing that?
Hows it run on the water, does it get to maximum rpm ok?

steve71994

Recruit
Who say that you need to manually depress the throttle cam follower, is turning the throttle not doing that?

I was out fishing for my first outing on the boat and it wouldn't start. After verifying we had spark and fuel he suggested that, and it's the only thing that starts it up consistently. So yes. The throttle cam does not move far enough to move the follower down to start the engine. I can take a picture of where the cam sits @ WOT to see if it's normal or not.

steve71994

Recruit

I don't have a tachometer so i'm not positive what rpm's are @ WOT. But it runs very smooth once started and warmed up.