anyone experience this weird control box issue?

JoshKeller84

Petty Officer 1st Class
1994 johnson 50/35 jet. (J50JERE) 2003 tracker grizzly boat. Its set up as a stick steer, with aluminum brackets connected directly to the hull to serve as a control box/steering mounts.

20150516_135313.jpg

I've noticed that ever since I've used this set up, the control box seemingly likes to ground itself off through the hull and not crank the motor. The buzzer will beep when the key is turned, but nothing happens to the solenoid. I've verified power going to the start wire connection of the solenoid. I can remove the control box from the mount, and it'll crank 100% of the time. I've used rubber washers and electrical tape over the bolts where they pass through the bracket as a short term solution. I've noticed the warning buzzer has a different tone than when its touching the bare metal. I tried a second wiring harness, and it started 100% of the time until I put it in the control box.

Is this a common (or even possible) occurrence on an outboard mounted to an all aluminum boat? It makes sense the hull being grounded, since the motor is grounded to the block and bolted directly to the boat. Are there any more viable solutions to this?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I would guess that you will find the Blk/Yel wire shorted to the case of the control box. Repair wire, route correctly through the box.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Seems you have successfully narrowed it down to the control box and now need to go into the control box to see what is wrong inside. I say you did some interesting investigation to have it narrowed down that far. Don't stop now, open the control box up and fix the wiring and happy boating... :thumb: