Engine swap questions

cheaperts

Seaman
Repowering our pontoon, took off an 89 Johnson 40 HP, found a good running 75 evinrude 70 HP. Boat has a binnacle controller. Will the big red plug match up? Any issues I'm not considering, it seems a pretty straight forward swap.

cheaperts

Seaman
Sounds good, the motor I'm installing has a CMC pt 130 with it, the 89 model Im replacing had factory trim, and the switch was built in to the shifter. Is the switching the same, I'm wondering if I can wire the shifter to juice the cmc relays and keep the thumb button working

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The thumb trim switch is considered a "light duty" switch. When that switch is used to activate an engine's trim system, it is supposed to be connected to a trim control box, (on or around the engine) which may have a solenoid or pair of trim relays inside. These factory outboard control boxes do all the heavy current conversion and protect the control box switch. If you connect it direct to the CMC, that switch may have a shortened life. It's not made to handle high current loads. Check to see how the original CMC switch was wired and compare to your setup.