1996 Evinrude 200 Vindicator

Fishbulb47

Recruit
I have had a 1996 Evinrude 200hp Vindicator for over 15 years that has been running great. It was running just fine all day and I just got done with a 5 min run at 4500rpm without missing a beat. I shut down and fished for 15 minutes then went to start the motor and it made made a couple of big clunking noises as it tried to start. I didn't try starting it again. When I got it home almost all of the 3/8" bolts under the flywheel were lose and two had fallen out. What am I in for?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
take a photo, not sure what bolts you mean
take the sparkplugs out, how they look and can you then turn the motor over by hand with no clunks happening?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
There is a TSB on this problem,you remove old bolts and replace then with the new Ficht style, the newer ones have a diamond stamped into head of bolt.If the end cap(head) has raised up it the flywheel is hitting the stator and bolts thus your clunk.

daselbee

Commander
Yep, common known problem. If you looked very carefully over the years, you probably would b=have notices oil leaking under the flywheel.
Remove flywheel, replace bolts, use medium Locktite, and hope no other damage has occurred.