1984 - Johnson 115 VRO - not charging

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just picked up a boat with the 115 VRO. It starts/runs fine but the seller told me it was not charging the battery. Have done some research and it seems that the probable replacement is the rectifier/regulator at about $200 +-. Tilt/trim works fine.

The rectifier is not in plain sight on the starboard side of the engine. The yellow and red/red grey wires are leading from the buss bar up under the flywheel so it seems that the flywheel must be removed to get at the rectifier.

I bought a $7 rectifier (4 terminal) that apparently has been successfully used in motors that have the rectifier in plain sight. It is rated as "up to 1000V and 50 amps." This sounds like high for the voltage but is the only one available.

Once the flywheel has been pulled, will this rectifier fit on my motor, or will it even work as a replacement on my motor. From a picture, the OEM replacement rectifier seems to be considerably flatter that the one I picked up so am wondering if there is room to put the replacement in.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
the rectifier regulator for this motor is about $27 i suggest you search around again, someone is proposing to fleece you good at $200

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If your engine came from the factory without power trim, you should be looking for a rectifier only. The cheap one. Part number: 583408. about $ 53 from the factory. If your engine came with power trim (most did), your engine came with the combination rectifier/regulator. It sits atop the engine block, where the cooling fins are cooled by block water. part number 582904. That supercedes to 395204, about $ 312.00

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input.

I checked with a local Evinrude/Johnson dealer. Lucky me! My motor takes the larger $390 rectifier/regulator that is mounted under the flywheel rather the the $60 OEM ($7 non OEM) rectifier that sits out in the open and would be a snap to install.

I also checked re a lifting ring. Not in stock and it is very pricey - about $300. The Merc ring is only $50. Have to gerry-rig something that will fit the three holes on top of the flywheel and be able to take the weight of the motor.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
If you are talking about a flywheel puller go down to your local auto parts store and get a harmonic wheel puller for about 20 bucks. I've been using one of those with an impact wrench for years to pull flywheels.