96 Johnson Ocean Runner 150hp Linkage Issue

bdk1969

Cadet
As I returned home from a day on the water and was driving onto my lift, I went to shift into reverse to slow down and the lever went all the way down without switching the gears. It stays in Forward The throttle still revs the engine, just doesn't engage the gears.

I need some feedback on what the most likely issue is here. Is it a lower unit issue? The prop is still turning as its stuck in forward but at idle speed. I heard nothing like metal on metal like I did on my old motor when the lower unit went out on me.

HELP!

daselbee

Commander
Nope. No shear pin.

Pull covers off, watch linkage operate on starboard side, as someone moves control handle.

Look for problems with cable, or possibly the pin that connects shift rod to the engine linkage.
For example, if you move control lever, and cable end doesn't move...then cable or control box problem.

bdk1969

Cadet
Well the cable moves because the engine will rev up if I push the throttle. I also see things moving on the top of the motor where I assume it goes into the linkage. So I guess I need to remove that top cover and see if its an issue there right?

daselbee

Commander
As I said, remove covers observe cable movement when operating throttle control.
There are TWO cables. One for shifting one for throttle. The shift cable could be broken, and you would still get throttle.

bdk1969

Cadet
ok I was able to get it back into neutral and with some maneuvering could shift it from neutral to reverse and forward. but the casing on the top of the 2 throttle cables is now separated exposing the center thin wire cable which wasn't that way before. but at least I'm pretty sure now its a cable/linkage issue and not a lower unit repair. (Im knocking on wood right now!)

daselbee

Commander
So, bad cable. It is not a very easy job, tho. You gotta fish the new cable in, disassemble the control box, put that end on, thread new cable thru grommets, and hook to engine. It is just a bunch of work, but you can do it.

Adjust new cable at engine end, with control in neutral, engine in neutral, so that cable end goes over threaded stud on linkage with no "preload", in other words, no pre added stress toward the front of the back. That is the initial adjustment. Fine tune the knurled adj knob at the engine as you use the boat, etc.

daselbee

Commander
PS...if I were you, I would replace both the throttle and shift cables while you are in there.

bdk1969

Cadet
Yeah Im going to do that just to avoid any more issues. It has been stiff lately and I even asked my repair guy a few weeks ago about it and he had me measure for a new cable so I kind of saw it coming.