1954 Johnson QD-15 power head gasket and lower unit questions

After my first test on boat today I noticed the gasket between the power head and lower unit is leaking. How do I replace it.. not sure what needs to be removed and what doesnt. Also noticed quite a bit of milky whiteness to the water when I took off. Figured the lower unit is taking on water so when I came back I drained it. It has a green oil... but didn't seem to have water in it. If there was it is completely mixed with NO separation. Never seen any oil with that well with water! So im wondering if theres a possibility the leaking power head gasket is causing this?? Im gonna refill the lower unit and test again to see if I notice any water intake. Maybe the exhaust water is whats coming out like that?? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150524_174634.jpg
    20150524_174634.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That white " stuff " is quite normal for that motor.----Just oil going through the powerhead and mixing with water in the exhaust.

Thats kinda what I was hoping to hear. Haha. Now I still need to replace that power head/lower unit gasket. Any advice on that? I dont have a repair manual and im worried I won't do it properly.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If your going to be doing major work on it a factory repair manual is a must.It will save time and frustration.
I believe there are reprint factory manuals here at iboats.
I can suggest that while the power head is off note the condition of the bottom crank bearing and seal.

I was hoping when refill the lower unit,, it doesn't take on water and just replace the power head gasket without purchasing the service manual,,, BUT if I notice further problems id leave it be,, purchase the manual and go from there. Now do you think I could replace the gasket without the manual? Or would that be pointless?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Can you replace a light bulb without a tutor? Sorry, just being silly. To remove the powerhead, disconnect the fuel and air hoses, remove the vertical throttle shaft from the side of the powerhead, remove the triangular muffler from the rear of the exhaust housing, then remove the seven screws holding the powerhead to the exhaust housing. Lift the powerhead off. As somebody already said, pay attention to the carbon seal you will find under it. That seal is vital to the health of the powerhead and must be in good condition. Always replace the 303355 gasket and 303347 o-ring associated with it. Powerhead gasket is 303467

F_R.. a light bulb,, no problem. This Johnson... hell yes! LMAO! Definitely not my comfort zone. Haha. Thanks for the instructions! I wish you could tutor me through the process! :D