84 Evinrude 8hp long shaft water problem...

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1984 Evinrude 8hp tiller long shaft that I have owned for 4 years. Other than impeller and other normal stuff this old motor has been great. I am replacing it with 9.9 remote control unit . Naturally when I put it up for sale I find a teaspooon of water in the lower unit. We picked up some fishing line in it a couple of weeks back so either that damaged the seal or maybe just washers needing replacing. (But I doubt that); Is there a simple test i can run to see where it is leaking from? So far the old motor has been easy to work on. Is seal replacement difficult on this motor? Model E8RLCRM.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Take it in to a dlr and have it pressure and vacuum checked.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Just replace the prop shaft seals and be done with it.. Technically you should put a pressure tester on it, pump it up, and put it in a barrel of water to see where the bubbles come out. If you had to pull fish line out of the prop it is probably the prop shaft seals. Remove the bearing carrier, pop the two seals out and replace. Easy stuff.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Some times there's also a smaller leak. That's why you pressure and vacuum check it. Been there !!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks! Will see what I can find. A potential buyer still insists on looking at it. Will be upfront and advise of the condition. If they are not interested I will fix whatever is wrong with it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is room for 2 o-rings on the shift rod.----I install 2 in there.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Well, a fellow from Ravenswood WV still insisted on seeing the engine even though I told him it may have a leak. He jumped on it quickly after seeing it and bought it for a slightly reduced price so I guess it is his problem. But I will miss that little motor. It was easy to work on and never let me down.