old evinrude ski twin(60-70s) 33 hp motor. tell if the impeller is working.

mlarson29

Cadet
i got the thing running today and put it in a 30L bucket and am not sure how to tell if its working. i put the hose up to the water inlet and have seen where the water should come out but when its in the butcket and the engine is running the ehaust basically comes out of the same place. cant put ear muffs on. how should i go about doing this

kbait

Commander
Run in barrel. Make sure impeller is submerged in water when starting. Water should exit exhaust port above waterline within a few seconds after starting - if water pump is functioning..

mlarson29

Cadet
The exhaust is located below the water inlet line. So when it on the exhaust is under water so is the water discard hole so you can't tell if it's pumping water or not

boobie

Supreme Mariner
There should be some more holes above the water line on the back of the motor.

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Follow the noise. It wasn't until later years they put the exhaust under the water.

You don't get the nice stream you see on newer motors, it kinda blasts out with the smoke. Also, some may have a temp gauge in them. i have heard that those wont shoot water until the engine gets a bit warm. supposed to help with cold starts i suppose.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as a thermostat on these 33 hp motors.----water should come out with the exhaust relief on the exhaust housing within seconds of startup !---If you do not know how old the impeller is then put a new one in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't know how big a 30L bucket is, but it probably isn't big enough (I only know about gallons). See the bulge a few inches above the flat anti-cavitation plate? That bulge must be well submerged before starting the motor. Pumping will be obvious, blowing water out the exhaust relief half way up the backside.

mlarson29

Cadet
well i feel retarded did not have the bucket up enough. thankfully i was just running it for a couple of seconds at a time. here is a video of it https://youtu.be/MJ2RVx0N97c .

how does it sound? is this enough water to be pumping at idle. also how do i adjust the carb. there is a high and low knob just not to sure what to look for when its set properly. bought this boat for 500$ so not really wanting to take it to a dealer.

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds good to me. Post a picture of your carb and i can explain the needles. and adjustments if needed.