Evinrude 35 hp keyswitch

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
I recently invested in a 1959 Glassmaster boat with a 35 hp Evinude motor. I know for a fact that it ran about 5 years ago and never put in the water. Unfortunately the key is lost so I took the switch to a locksmith to try to make a key. If this is unsuccessful do anyone know where I can order a switch or if a standard 3 pole switch can be made to work. I know the basics.The green wire is hot, The white wires to to the selenoid,and the tw black wires go to the points.Is it possible to connect both black wires to the IGN to and the white wire to the SOL post?Any feedback will be appreciated and I'm sure this won't be the last time you hear from me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find an old time shop and give them the KF # on the switch.---Some shops still have those keys on a chain.------Never connect 12 volts to the black wires that go to the points !!!!

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Find an old time shop and give them the KF # on the switch.---Some shops still have those keys on a chain.------Never connect 12 volts to the black wires that go to the points !!!!
Oops, I already did earlier. What is the worst case senario?

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Worst case scenario is replacing the ignition components under the flywheel (point coils condensers)

I replaced my ignition switch twice. Once with a plastic universal (guess why I needed a second) and again with a brass version. Both shops I visited had them just on the rack.

In hindsight I would have rather just went with a push button system.

A general overview.

Red goes to battery (power in)
White goes to small post on solenoid (signal out)

Two blacks are your kill switch. Should be two M's (magneto) on the ingnition for this.

Choke is usually brown.

Probably a ground in there somewhere.

I have the exact diagram, will try to post in the next hour for you

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

OK, so, i have been through everything you are about to do twice. Self taught with great help from iboats and a couple friends. These three pictures should help get you started. I have lots of stuff for these motors.

Attachments

• photo221559.jpg
    photo221559.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221560.jpg
    photo221560.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221561.jpg
    photo221561.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 0

NC-Rookie

Seaman Apprentice
Being a first time participant of the forum, I appreciate all of the information and suggestions so far. I will probably find out today if the locksmith was able to make me a key, At least I know now where to order a switch and have a diagram of the ignition parts.