2 stroke oil and gear lube help

JOFO17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering what oils/ lubes are best for my 87 looper. I've looked in the archives and see that new lubes come out every year almost. I've read about everything from Quicksilver to Yamilube to Exxon being the best. I just want to get good lubricants for my motor and not spend a fortune to run. Any suggestions?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yes, the best 2 cycle oil question surfaces once again. :decision:

Basically any, I mean any, 2 cycle oil that specifies that it meets or beats all manufacturer's requirements will do the job. As long as it specifies TWC-3, your engine will run for as long as you take care of the maintenance on it as it is supposed to be maintained. There are folks that buy the absolute cheapest 2 cycle oil they can find and it works as well as the folks that buy the most expensive 2 cycle oil on the market. And yes there will be folks that swear by their brand and even specify that their oil brand does this and not that. But in reality, not one lab tested and verified data to support their claims, just their thinking. And that is what makes the world go round. And this is just my opinion...too!

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I save my mastiff drool year round to use as 2 cyl oil, it's the best and cheaper than cheap. :) kidding aside, decide if your the guy that thinks more expensive = better. Or if money in your wallet and a good product = better. Then get that gallon of 2 cyl oil at Walmart with the boat picture on it and never forget to mix it. NEVER