50 hp Johnson driving me crazy

ftallen

Cadet
New fuel lines, connectors, pump bulb, carb kits, power pak, trigger, and everything else I can think of to spend my money on.
The motor runs very well at WOT,.
The problem is, after I kill the motor and fish awhile, the darn thing won't start. I pump the bulb, choke the engine, etc.
The "only" thing that works is a little squirt of starting fluid in one of the carbs, then everything is fine until the next time I kill the engine.
I know the dangers of starting fluid, but I'm going to use my boat, it won't start otherwise, and I've replaced everything I can think of.
This is a real pain in the butt.
Can someone PLEASE give me some more things to try and fix this very irritating problem.
Reminds me of an old truck I had when I was a kid. I always had to park on a hill so I could get it rolling and pop the clutch to start it. I couldn't afford a new starter.
Allen:joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a model # on it.----What is your starting procedure on it when warm ?----If equipped with the electric primer , is it working ???

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sure sounds like a lack of priming issue as racerone stated. And mix up some 50:1 fuel/oil and use that in a squirt bottle in place of the starter fluid. It will do the same thing and will have some lube in it as well. But fix the priming issue and you should be boating without problems again... JMHO!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Turn key to " on " and then push key in.---Do you hear a click?---Do you understand how the electric primer works ?---The electric primer is in fact an electric spray bottle so to speak.---If it was working it does the same thing as you spraying starter fluid into the motor !