Aqau Loop maximum engine size

Thenewb

Cadet
Hello everyone, first time being here, and rather inexperienced with vintage boats, more of a vintage snowmobile guy. Anyway, I recently purchased a 1973 Aqua Loop that I intend to bring back to operating condition, and I am in search of a motor. The mounting plate recommends 20hp, but Iv seen them outfitted with a 1990s merc 30 and it didnt appear to have any issues with that. The plate also says the craft has a max load of 500lbs. How large and heavy of a motor could I feasibly put on this? Im a pretty big guy at 6'5 200lbs, so I suppose that would limit things? Would say a 1965 Evinrude Lark 7 40hp be out of the question? How much does this engine weigh? Here is a link to a video of an Aqua Loop so you might get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSmDPylyiY

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Hi
Depends what condition your transom is in. You can make up some plates to go on it, especially so the motor sits on metal and not on the transom itself. That way you could push your limit up. 20hp to a 40hp is quite a bit of a step up. I cracked my transom on my boat by going from the recommended 30 to a 60. That increased the motors weight by about a half and increased torque a lot. Im not sure if it was the torque or the weight that did the damage, maybe both.
Id go for the 30 myself but will be interested in what other people say.
Ive never seen one of those things, thatguys having some fun

Last edited:

Thenewb

Cadet
So increase my limit I could just fabricate some thicker metal plates? How thick would be reasonable, maybe made of quarter inch of plate steel, or is that too much? Also is this an appropriate place to have this topic posted; or should it be moved elsewhere?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
So increase my limit I could just fabricate some thicker metal plates? How thick would be reasonable, maybe made of quarter inch of plate steel, or is that too much? Also is this an appropriate place to have this topic posted; or should it be moved elsewhere?
yep, thats what ive done on my boat
Not sure where to post sorry, you could try in boat building and repair

jbcurt00

Staff member
A 1973 Aqua Loop has a capacity rating for weight and hp for a reason

You want a 'boat' that will carry more weight and 'support' a larger hp outboard? Get another boat, or a high output jet ski

Overpowering, encouraging others to overpower or using reinforcement plates to overpower a boat isn't wise

Jumping from a 20hp to a 40hp Lark on that Aqua Loop is the 1st step to staring in a redneck 'hold my beer and watch this' youtube video. Might also be used as a eulogy.

boat and boat rehab safely

This is a 1973 Aqua Loop for those that don't know what one looks like:
$_35.JPG

sort of a pre-JetSki PWC

Thenewb

Cadet
Well I guess Ill try to locate a reasonably priced 30hp. My local mechanic/boat dealer said that a 30 would be fine, but with a 40 it may start to get too rear heavy.