salt water motor maintenance

nwcove

Admiral
ive heard of a product that you spray on salt water run motors that is supposed to neutralize the salt, anyone know the name of this stuff? does it even help??

Bosunsmate

Admiral
It called salt away here. Ive ever tried it but some people swear by it. I just flush for a while longer than average and take the heads off every three or so years.
Its expensive stuff that salt away here in nz
By in large all boats are used in the salt water here due to most people being near the sea and this salt away seems to have the market cornered for it

Last edited:

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here in the cold waters of the PNW a quick freshwater flush will usually suffice. However, I have a few guys I fish with from the gulf coast tell me it's a totally different story down there.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Water is the solvent for salt. No need to buy anything else. Stuff will corrode after use in salt water, no matter what you do. But you can at least make an effort. Try water.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are bolts and fasteners that can be removed one at a time.---You apply a sealer to threads and the bolt to keep corrosion to a minimum.----Makes repairs easier in the future.