Stripped high speed jet

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
After a long time searching, I found a 3/16 screwdriver with shaft small enough to fit into the extension where the high speed jet is. However I managed to strip one of the grooves in the brass and I have no idea how it will come out now. Do I need a completely new carb? Or just dip it in carb cleaner and see how she does?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You can try to dip and see how it runs, but I am going to put money on getting a new or rebuilt carb, unfortunately. I am sure there are ways to get it out, but the cost involved it probably going to be more than replacing it.

daselbee

Commander
send just the bowl down to me.
I will get it out, you buy and put new jet in.

No charge!

Easiest "stuck thread fix" on an outboard.

PM if interested

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
You can try to dip and see how it runs, but I am going to put money on getting a new or rebuilt carb, unfortunately. I am sure there are ways to get it out, but the cost involved it probably going to be more than replacing it.

I have a new carb kit on the way, doesn't look like a new jet is included

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
send just the bowl down to me.
I will get it out, you buy and put new jet in.

No charge!

Easiest "stuck thread fix" on an outboard.

PM if interested

Really? Does it involve a drill bit? Lol and where might I purchase a new jet? Thanks

daselbee

Commander
yes really. yes it might involv a drll bit. usually not. jets are from any evinrude dealer.

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
yes really. yes it might involv a drll bit. usually not. jets are from any evinrude dealer.

Thanks man I'll take that into consideration for sure. I'm gonna hunt for a jet in the interim and do some more repairs

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry to say, it is probably going to be a long summer for you.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That's my goal though to have this thing running by the end of summer. I don't mind learning this stuff and I love a good challenge and can have satisfaction knowing I've done it myself

daselbee

Commander
That is such an easy repair, a local machine shop will probably do it for 10 bucks. Actually ten bucks is about the total cost of shipping it down and back.
If you want, PM me and I will call you to discuss how to do the job.

Don't sweat the jet issue....any Evinrude dealer can easily order the replacement.

EDIT: There is no way in hell that you should need a new carb for the defective jet as you describe. No way.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I too would absolutely take the time and remove that stuck jet and buy a replacement and install it. A typical jet is noting more then a brass plug drilled to a specific hole size. How much can they be to purchase? JMHO!

daselbee

Commander
They are six bucks average. He never posted the model number, or I would look it up.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Jets are not expensive and if you have the right tools in your tool box you can take out stripped jets, I have done it, but often times I have found problems after removing stripped out parts on carbs. I have a set of specialty easy outs that was made for removing stripped jets in automobile carbs that would remove it, but you do have to be careful, I have also pulled the threads out of a carb due to metal fatigue in the pot metal used on carbs. If daselbee has a way to do it, it would probably be worth it to try, at the worst you will have to do what I suggested at the best, you get a new jet and spend less money.

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
That is such an easy repair, a local machine shop will probably do it for 10 bucks. Actually ten bucks is about the total cost of shipping it down and back.
If you want, PM me and I will call you to discuss how to do the job.

Don't sweat the jet issue....any Evinrude dealer can easily order the replacement.

EDIT: There is no way in hell that you should need a new carb for the defective jet as you describe. No way.

PM'd

NC Angler

Seaman Apprentice
I too would absolutely take the time and remove that stuck jet and buy a replacement and install it. A typical jet is noting more then a brass plug drilled to a specific hole size. How much can they be to purchase? JMHO!

That's what I'll do

daselbee

Commander
1968 9.5 MQ-14E. $10 on one site and around $8 on another. The name tripped me up- "orifice plug".

Woah Nelly!!!!!
Websites often list the part with prices, but when you actually go to order.....nada.
1968.....that jet may be NLA, may not.....gotta look it up.
I don't have access to parts lists for 1968.

Someone step in here and determine if this jet is still available.