1997 115hp Johnson stuck in down position

jjqville

Recruit
I have a bad trim motor and while I was diagnosing it I had to release the pressure with the manual release screw. That worked great motor went down, but now that I want to get to the trim motor I can't get the motor back up. Is there a locking mech. or release other than the hydraulic one that got me into this fix. Please help.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
No. Make sure the manual release valve is open and get a buddy to try and lift it.

jjqville

Recruit
Thanks, the relief valve is open and I have it hooked up to the rafters with a pulley, won't budge?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you might have pushed the scrapers on the end of the rams past the end of the tube and they are jammed, I did this once with a snow plow and it was a real pain to get it to move again. I ended up getting a new ram and fixing it the next summer.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Drive out the bottom PTT rod and the base of the PTT unit will be released. Now tilt the motor by hand and drive out the upper PTT pin. If you pull the PTT wires out of the Deutch connector (mark them to get them back correctly), you can pull the PTT wires thru the transom clamp. Now replace the PTT motor.

jjqville

Recruit
Thanks all! I pushed out the pin and it came right up, had to do that anyway to get to the screws on the motor. now if I can only find where the ends of the motor wires attach I can finish this job...any hints?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
PTT motor wires should go to the relay box under the motor cowling. Trace the wires from the PTT switch on the lower cowling to the relay box.